The Nourisher - Editor’s Blog

When we got married the registry wouldn’t let me put Super Hero as my occupation, they put Home Duties on our marriage certificate instead. But I AM a Super Hero and my Super Hero name is…… The Nourisher.

Home Made Ice Cream

By Joanne Hay

Some families have the rule, “eat everything on your plate or you don’t get dessert”. In our family, if anyone doesn’t like the dinner (as long as they actually taste it) there’s no problem because dessert is just as nourishing as the meal. With whole raw eggs, raw cream and natural sweetening, our ice cream is a delicious, nutritionally dense wholefood. Since most ice cream is poisonous, I ask the kids to say no to all other forms of ice cream, and promise to feed them this recipe til the cows come home.

We use raw cream which is very expensive, but worth it. Using real cream, you won’t need to eat much at once. A couple of tablespoons is enough to satisfy most adults.

• 3 egg yolks
  • maple syrup or rapadura to taste.
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups heavy cream (raw is best)
  • optional: a splash of raw milk to make a soft serve version using an ice cream maker.

Beat egg yolks and blend in remaining ingredients. Pour into an Ice Cream Maker and process according to instructions. If you don’t have an ice cream maker: blend and freeze, take it out after 1 hour and beat by hand vigorously, repeat every hour until complete (usually 5-6 hours).

Of course there are variations like, chocolate (using organic fair trade cocoa), chocolate chip (rapadura chocolate), and adding berries or coconut.

For more healthy sweet recipes try:

Almond cookies

All raw cheese cake

To explore this topic further, we recommend…

Articles:
Sweet Sustenance
124 Ways Sugar Ruins Your Health

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats

Share this article These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • NewsVine
  • StumbleUpon

Joanne Hay, Editor of Nourished Magazine, Chief Nourisher and Mother of three is very grateful to live in Byron Bay and be able to share all she has learned about Nourishment. She has trained as an Acupuncturist (unfinished), Kinesiologist (finished) and parent (never finished). She serves the Weston A Price Foundation as a chapter leader. She loves sauerkraut, kangaroo tail stew, home made ice cream, her husband Wes and her kids Isaiah, Brynn and Ronin (in no particular order…well maybe ice cream first).

COMMENTS - 18 Responses

1. An email I received, I would like to share with readers as well as my answer.

Hey There :), I was just wondering where in Australia you might be?? And if you had any sources for Raw Cream??
    Cheers Sonia

Hi Sonia

We are in Byron Bay. There are a few sources of raw milk and cream here. One is Cleopatra’s Body Cream (sold as a cosmetic for legal reasons) from Gympie, Qld. It can be bought in health food shops. I have heard of it being sold in Sydney. If you are there, Vicki Poulter, Chapter for Sydney, will be able to help you. Otherwise most of the Chapters for Australia are on the site here:

We also are able to purchase milk from a few local dairy farmers who have chosen to fall off the grid. You may be able to find one near you who is willing to do the same. The cream can be scooped off the top of the milk and the skim milk left, traditionally fed to the pigs to fatten them, can be used for baking.

You can also set about setting up a cow share program, whereby a group of people buy a herd of cows and pay a dairy farmer to manage the herd. The milk is delivered to the group. Thus far it is legal to consume milk from your own animal. The real milk alliance has some information about cow share programs and even an agreement to copy.

2. 2. Joanne Tilbury
    Jan 10th, 2006 at 10:39 am

Just wanted to say thanks!! It’s so hard to find anything for the children that isn’t loaded with artifical colours, flavours or additives. Even when they advertise that yoghurts for instance are all natural they use artifical colours.

Will try this on the kids.

3. I was brought up on raw milk as my grandfather had a small dairy farm next door to his farm and used to by the milk from the farmer.
    In my opinion, nothing tastes better than raw milk and cream.
    Years later, my grandfather has passed on, the farm sold, the dairy farm next door gone.
    I have now idea where to get raw milk and cream in South Australia now. I can get unhomogenised bio-dinamic milk that is still pasturised, but not raw milk.
    Can you help?

4. Your local chapter for the Weston A Price Foundation is John Pachett. His email is naturalelthy@picknowl.com.au.

5. To get a better, “real ice cream” texture, beat the eggs until they are very fluffy, like merengue, and whip the cream. No one would know the difference (besides that the taste is so much better)!

6. 6. Brendon Wills
    Apr 27th, 2006 at 11:36 am

For ages now I have searched for an article I wish I kept which told of the lethal ingredients of icecream bought from the supermarket. Can u help please?

7. Brendon

click on the link in the article that says “poisonous”. It will take you to an article about the poisons in icecream.

Joanne

8. 8. Brendon Wills
    Apr 28th, 2006 at 5:44 am

Thanks for your prompt reply and I will send this article far and wide. I find it so disturbing that most of us are just so unaware of what poisons are in what we are eating.
    Do you have any info on the dangers to our health by using microwave ovens. Cheers, Brendon.

9. 9. Constance Neal
    Jul 6th, 2006 at 12:41 pm

Hi Joanne,
    so pleased to read your articles. Dr. Mercola in the US is a huge advocate of raw dairy products and I have been researching sites ever since in the hope of finding a dairy farmer who has “dropped off the grid” in Melbourne. Do you know of anyone I can contact who could get me in contact with someone who has a share herd programme or a dairy farmer?
    peace,
    Constance

10. Do you have any recipes for home-made icecream that are made without using cow’s milk products, eg rice milk?

I have a heart and sinus problem.

11. 11. Ian Robertson
    Apr 8th, 2007 at 12:29 pm

Hi,

I live in Ojai, CA near Santa Barbara.

I am a whole foods certified chef, originally from New Orleans and currently I make and sell 7 different flavored raw ice creams. All organic ing. sweetened with raw honey. My wife and I are famous. People are blown away by our ice cream which includes various super foods and exotic ing. We have a dairy here that is raw, organic, grass fed and legal.
    We want to go to market with the product, which is presently not on the market, but we need backers,
    any suggestions ? ( if you like, I’ll send our list of flavors. )

12. Linda Gordon emailed asking:
    “Can one substitute turbino or raw sugar for regular sugar when making home made
    ice cream, do you know? thanks so much”

Does anyone know what Turbino is, is it dehydrated cane juice? If so, use it in this recipe. You can use regular sugar but please read about the scourge that refined sugar is here first:

13. Thanks for the recipe! I have been looking into the Weston Price Foundation diet and came across your site and was wondering about the use of raw eggs in the recipe. Thanks for any information.

14. Oh this is just the best ice cream ever!!! We have made (since having a raw milk contact) vanilla, chocolate and mango and macadamia ice cream with rapadura or agave syrup as the sweetener and using both just the cream and when we don’t have enough cream then with the milk (jersey milk so nice and creamy anyway) Oh yum yum yum…doesn’t last long and the kids even eat it at breakfast sometimes…..I figure it is better than the cereal they were eating!!! It is a bit harder when using the milk instead of just the cream but it is still delicious….thanks for the recipe!!

15. Hi!
    I live in Wisconsin (the Dairy State) and yet we cannot legally obtain raw milk (thank you Gov. Doyle). Anyway, I still get it, and my questions was this: Have you ever had your ice cream not ’set-up’, meaning it stays soupy when you use raw cream in the ice cream machine no matter how long you let it run? No one has been able to tell me the cause of this, but it has happened several times, so now I use pasteurized cream, which is a shame. I do not use raw eggs, as your recipe calls for? Also, my machine has the freezing chemical in the bowl, so it does not require ice - could that make a difference? Thank you!

16. If you make a lot of raw ice cream. What is the “shelf life”? How long can you keep it in the freezer, before you have to toss it?

1. 1 Trub. The sediment of life. Trackback on Jul 17th, 2006 at 11:57 am
  2. 2 Connection and Food Ways: Chidren and Food Issues Pingback on Jul 1st, 2008 at 1:05 am
COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE: