The Nourisher - Editor’s Blog

When we got married the registry wouldn’t let me put Super Hero as my occupation, they put Home Duties on our marriage certificate instead. But I AM a Super Hero and my Super Hero name is…… The Nourisher.

How to Make Beautiful Broth

By Joanne Hay

A friend’s daughter is recovering from a horrific bike accident. With many broken bones (including the face) and bruises the best thing for her healing right now is bone broth.

While we’ve heard from Sally Fallon about the history and medicinal qualities of bone broth, we haven’t included an actual recipe so here goes.
Bone Broth

Ask your local butcher for a carcass of an ORGANIC chicken or even dog bones for beef broth. You can also keep all the bones from the meat you eat during the week in the freezer and add to your concoction.

Once a week,

Cover the bones with water and add a splash of vinegar. (The acidity will help extract more minerals from the bones). Bring to boil and skim. Add any veges you’d like (this is not necessary, just for taste). Decrease temperature and simmer for 4 hours to 24 hours. The longer you simmer the more minerals you’ll extract.

Keep the broth in the fridge or freezer and serve on its own with salt or use in soups and sauces.

Second recipe (the one I use mostly)

Use a whole ORGANIC chicken. I use the beautiful turkeys‘ wings and necks from the Byron Markets. (Thanks Matthew). Cover with water and simmer with your choice of herbs etc until the flesh is cooked. Remove the whole bird and take the flesh from the bones. Put the bones back into the pot, splash of vinegar and simmer for another 4 to 24 hours.

Keep the flesh in the fridge to use for chicken soup, curry, stir fry, parmagiana, whatever. Be sure to use the broth with these recipes. Add the meat after the vegies are cooked - it only needs a warm through so making the meal is quick.

When the broth is done strain it through a colander or strainer into a glass container. Wrap the bones in newspaper and bury them in the ground. Cool the broth. If you’ve made too much broth for your fridge space, you can always reduce it further by boiling it down and freeze it in ice cubes. Add a cube to any meal to jazz up the taste and increase nutrients. I almost always cook rice in broth.

You may find some fat coagulates on top of the broth. This fat is wonderful for cooking potato chips. Scoop it off and cook it over low heat until it stops bubbling to remove all water. It will keep on the bench top for days and in the fridge for weeks if you get rid of all the water component.

Good luck Steve and Noelie healing your little one. And anyone helping bones heal, making babies and children’s bones or helping elder’s with osteoporosis, go the broth!

Share this article These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • NewsVine
  • StumbleUpon

Joanne Hay, Editor of Nourished Magazine, Chief Nourisher and Mother of three is very grateful to live in Byron Bay and be able to share all she has learned about Nourishment. She has trained as an Acupuncturist (unfinished), Kinesiologist (finished) and parent (never finished). She serves the Weston A Price Foundation as a chapter leader. She loves sauerkraut, kangaroo tail stew, home made ice cream, her husband Wes and her kids Isaiah, Brynn and Ronin (in no particular order…well maybe ice cream first).

COMMENTS - 41 Responses

1. Some months ago I had serious problems with my stomach- after a bad infection I seemed to have problems getting a balance in my gut. I tried all kinds of things - but what worked best was a veal broth- with very soaked rice and lots of organic butter. So broth just rocks - I can´t handle chicken- but both veal and beef broth is so good.
    I boil it down so it is very concentrated and freeze it in small cubes- that way it is easy to add to veggies, rice or soups.

2. What do you think about pressure-canning broth to save on fridge and freezer space?
    Also I like the idea of making broth concentrates to save on space.

3. 3. Required Name
    Dec 31st, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Ok! WTF?! WTF do you mean by: “Wrap the bones in newspaper and bury them in the ground”? How is this going to make my soup taste better??? And why bury newspaper, doesn’t make any sense AT ALL!

4. Rose
    Pressure canning seems like a good idea. Less carbon expensive.

WTF?
    Ha Ha. No your soup won’t taste better. It’s just a better way to dispose of meat and bones than putting it in the garbage. Animal products in composts attract flies and dogs, burying is the best way. It also feels good to thank the earth while burying the waste. Rolling it up in newspaper is only for convenience. Enjoy your broth.
    Joanne

5. I’m just new to WAP and loving what I’m learning although feel a little like I’m all alone in this (apart from my husband :) . I made my first broth the other day (imagine saying that 50 odd years ago LOL) and it was delicious. But I keep thinking my power bill is going to be HUGE! I mean, I cooked that thing for ages. I presume it’s okay to use a crockpot? ( Although I’m not sure my bones would have all fitted into that. ). I guess my question is does anyone else use a crockpot?

6. Well. Downstairs I have cooking…Sally Fallon’s Left-over Leg Lamb soup. I bought a large leg specially for this. We had some roast lamb last night and now the soup is going to be cooking all day. I am enjoying my Uni holidays cooking with Sally’s book and my husband just rang me from work to see what I was up to and expressing how excited he was that I was at home cooking our soup. There is great anticipation for tonights meal. Thank-you again sincerely Joanne. If it wasn’t for you my husband and I would not be enjoying this amazing new opportunity in nourishing experiences. I too am dealing with mercury poisoning due to amalgam fillings which will be getting removed under the strict guidance of an amalgam removal protocol and guidance of a Nutritionist who is pro-butter to help my body detox…yay! xx

7. 7. sandy martin
    Mar 3rd, 2008 at 12:24 pm

wy do you bury the bones of the broth

8. 8. Claire Green
    Mar 6th, 2008 at 6:14 am

How about making broth in a pressure cooker stockpot? I have made broth both ways and have been extremely impressed with the results from the pressure cooker. You can make the broth in a fraction of the time, it tastes better than the broth that has been simmered4-5X longer, seems to have much more gelatin content and uses much less energy. I think some of the long, slow techniques like braising, simmering result in nutrient loss due to prolonged heat, time and oxidation. http://missvickie.com/library/benefits.html

Basically, I find I make and use bone broth weekly with my pressure cooker (and my kitchen smells better!) than when I did it the all day simmer approach, since it is so much easier. In any event, I still occassionally forget about my broth while it is cooling and it spends the night on the stove and I give it to the chickens and dogs (but with reluctance) as I believe if in doubt, throw it out!

Anyway, I love my kuhn rikon 12 quart stockpot pressure cooker!

9. “why do you bury the bones of the broth” - Sandy

So we can do a dance over them and nourish our ancestors… Kidding. Just bury them so you don’t add to the land fill problem. The earth will consume the nutrients rather than them rotting in land fill and causing more green house gases.

10. joanne, are there many more health benefits of making own bone broth rather than buying organic broth? heard bone broth is good for magnesium… . thanks much

11. I love the suggestion of bottling the hot broth as I have never been able to fit it in the fridge. I do the Homo Optimus diet and he uses lots of this type of food in the diet but was hard to keep up with the storage…
    I usually make mine in a pressure cooker but I do need a larger one since we are five at home..made a good type minestrone the other day with first simmering the bones and bacon bones then later adding onion carrots, tinned toms. and then pasta..
    tasted great and gave last bit to dogs…we all eat it with plenty of grated cheese…

12. Bulk broth I find is the best way to go, I use chicken carcases about 8 fit in my huge 14 L stock pot 1kg of chicken drumsticks and 12-18 feet plus assorted veg and herbs in my and when it has simmered for 12-24 hrs I remove strain and then reduce it by half and let it cool down next I freeze it in these 1 cup size Glad containers, plastic is safe to freeze and when I need it I just defrost in a small sauce pan. At the mo I’m only making stock once a month - 6 weeks. I have an extra freezer which fits the stock, 1/2 organic lambs and 1/4’s of a side of moo.

13. Laura, there are a number of things more Nourishing about making your own broth.

1. It’s WAY cheaper, you just use left over bones that would go in your garbage or get really cheap frames from organic butcher.

2. It saves waste in landfill, once you’ve used the bones, you can easily bury what’s left or feed to your pet (well cooked bones are just mush and won’t harm animals)

3. You can add vinegar to drag more minerals out of the bones and add leaves from other vegetables, even onion skin, adding extra nutrients and saving space in your bin (if you have no compost)

4. There is no extra packaging or fossil fuels used to create it. In fact if you live in a cold climate and have a wood fire, you can boil the broth at the same time as heating your home.

5. You can choose how concentrated it is. If you don’t have much space to store it, you can cook it right down and add water later when you use it.

6. It’s fun.

Yes bone broth is good for all minerals, especially if cooked with a dash of vinegar. I use whey from making my cheese, as I don’t like the taste of it. It’s also good for gelatine which is protein sparing and helps digestion immensely. Check out the digestion healing broth in this month’s edition.

14. 14. Cathy Mifsud
    May 2nd, 2008 at 2:15 pm

In ” Nourishing Traditions” Sally Fallon says the Pressure Cooker is really bad because of the extremely high temperatures. Slow cookers / crock pots are great, not sure about using these for bone broth though.
    I just love bone broth! I sleep so well when I’ve had a good serve of it and so does my daughter. I also love using tallow for cooking my steak, delicious and no smoke or spitting fat! Its just perfect. Also, loads of onion SLOW cooked in tallow fat, garlic and celtic salt on stove top with the tiniest amount of honey added at the end to really caramelise is heaven on top of steak!

15. Would any of the nutrients be lost in pressure canning (not cooking) the broth? Preserving in jars rather than fridge/freezer appeals to me but I worry about losing nutrients in general with canning. Thanks!

16. Cathy et all Hello,

What’s the diff between tallow and suet, and are they both good?

17. 17. Cathy Mifsud
    May 3rd, 2008 at 11:08 am

Hi Marie
    I’d never heard of suet till the other day talking to Joanne. After my bone broth cools, the fat I scrape off the top I call tallow. HHmmmm, maybe its better called suet? They could be the same thing and it seemed so from the dictionary. My NT book is out ( as per usual : ) )

Anyone else know if there’s a difference?

Also, my last yummy beef fat ( from the stock ) came from chuck and some marrow bones. The texture was a little fluffier than normal. I wonder if this is why the onions came so incredibly delicious when I slow cooked them in it.

18. Suet is generally the nutrient rich fat found around the organs, especially the kidney and adrenal glands. Tallow is any ruminant fat.

19. When all the long simmering of the meat and bones for Broth is done,strain and use as previously mentioned.
    Return cleaned bones to a pot of fresh filtered water and simmer a few hours with a little white vinegar then you can strain and bury the bones. The stock from this is White Bone Stock used for savoury jellies, aspics,clear soups
    etc.

20. thank you for replying, joanne! (this went to my junkmail…so glad i found it!!) i’m saving your response to remind me to go the extra mile. made bone broth 2 days ago and it knocked our socks off so much i made more and had the whole family over for soup and salad. thanks for your passion and knowledge! -laura

21. You are most welcome Laura. When you get the email letting you know a comment added to the converstion, click on the link that sends you to the post online and use the comment form to respond. That way we can all hear about your triumphs. We often make broth using the second recipe, keep the chicken in the fridge and continue boiling the broth, adding water if necessary. When it’s time to eat I boil the broth, add noodles of some kind or quinoa or rice and cook the grain in the broth, then at the end add veggies, chicken and shallots. It’s always appreciated. It’s incredibly cheap and so quick. You can literally have dinner cooked in 5 minutes if you use thin noodles. Ginger is a good addition when boiling the broth too.

22. 22. Bonnie Kristek
    Jun 21st, 2008 at 2:50 pm

If you use a pressure cooker, how much time will it require??

23. 23. Cathy Mifsud
    Jul 5th, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Bonnie you should not use a pressure cooker for cooking anything. The high temeratures in these cookers denatures food.

24. I am new to NT and just about to make my first broths. Chicken first then beef.

I’ve never left anything simmering on the stove throughout the night for fear of burning the house down :)

Is it safe to do that? Do you leave a lid on the pot? Would love to know what others do.

Also, on reading a coment above that plastic is safe when frozen, is that correct? I just removed all plastic containers from the house, stocking up on glass mason jars instead. Is it perfectly fine to freeze (inc. liquids such as broth) in plastic?

Kind regards,
    Kate.

25. Kate, use a slow cooker. Much less scary overnight!

26. Thanks Megan, I just saw a nice 6.5 litre slow cooker by breville (biggest I could find) and will give it a go!

Is there anything I need to alter from the NT recipe if using a slow cooker? Eg. do I use less water? And do I start on high heat for the first few hours until the chicken meat is cooked, then remove the meat and add back the bones on the low setting?

Any tips appreciated, I’m not a cook by any stretch :)

Kind regards,
    Kate.

27. I made my first chicken stock in a slow cooker, which is cooling in the fridge now. Fingers crossed :) Although I started for a few hours on high (cooking the remaining 24 hours on low), the slow cooker never got hot enough to boil the stock at the start, it was more like a stronger simmer. So there wasn’t much in the way of froth to skim. Is that ok?

Some posts on here mention removing the chicken from the bones after an hour, whereas the NT cookbook says to do this after the 12-24 hours cooking cycle. Is it just an issue of taste or is there a food safety issue with leaving the chicken on the bones during the cooking?

Kind regards,
    Kate.

28. 28. Cathy Mifsud
    Jan 10th, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Kate
    On my gas stove there is a huge double jet burner bit that has a really small burner in the centre. The steel grill bit on top for the pot is higher than the other three. This must be designed especially for stock because on low my stock pot simmers away perfectly with the lid on. The glass lid does have a tiny hole in it but the water level stays the same pretty much. I’m totally comfortable with it simmering away through the night. If your stove doesn’ t have this you’ll need a defuser; flat thin metal plate that goes down onto your low flame then your pot sits on it.
    My slow cooker is too small for stock but I imagine the bigger ones could work well. Maybe you could start your stock early in the day on the stove bring to boil and then skim, then pour into your slow cooker to simmer away for the next X amount of hours.

I have heards that plastic containers are not safe for freezing. Best to freeze your foods in glass. Pyrex is good, look out for sales.

29. 29. Cathy Mifsud
    Jan 11th, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I was wondering how much you’d be able to skim in the slow cooker. Probably best to boil on stove first, then after skimming transfer to your slow cooker.
    I prefer to take meat off early so it still has nice flavor and texture to use again in another dish, even if that dish is chicken soup with the stock. I don’t like the chicken so much after its been simmering away for hours.

30. Hi Kate,
    This is how i make stock. We have a roast chook most sundays, when every one has scavenged all the meat from the carcus i put it in the slow cooker with a couple of roughly choped sticks of celery, a carrot roughy choped and an onion roughly choped( i leave the skin on cause it gives the stock a bit of colour). Then i top it up with water and a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar ( which i think gives a good flavour). I leave it on high overnight, turn it off in the morning and let it cool before straining. I dont do any skimming and it dosent seem to make much difference to us. I use the same method with beef bones. Hope that helps and i hope my method is in keeping with NT, if not can anyone let me know?

31. 31. Cathy Mifsud
    Jan 12th, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Hi Megan
    In NT, it explains that skimming is a very important process of making bone broth. All indigenous groups Price studied skimmed their bone broths.

32. I’ve just been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis and seem to have a problem with gluten, casein. A nutritionist suggested I start to make long simmered bone broths. I’d like to know exactly what kind of bones, vegetables, herbs you use and how long do you cook them for. Thanks.

33. To the twits who have used this page to denounce pressure cooking, please read up on the facts before you speak up. It does not use extremely high temperatures. The temperatures are around 20 degrees Celcius higher than boiling point only, FAR LESS than using an oven.

34. I was just reading info last week on pressure cooking and the problems are that pressure cooking as a cooking method, just like BBQ’ing foods, creates carcinogenic substances in the process. There are actually facts out there to read up on (ie. to Me/above post) and a genuine concern it seems.

35. 35. Rachel Cox
    Jan 12th, 2010 at 3:24 am

Hi,
    I am currently seeing an acupuncturist right before my IVF cycle using donor egg/sperm. I am a vegetarian and my acupuncturist has told me that I really should use bone broth. I tried to make it the other day and the smell was so nauseating and the act of deboning the chicken completely disgusting. I have no one to eat the chicken when done. Can I just use organic chicken broth and get almost the same advantage. I really don’t want it period, but if this is what I have to do…
    Thanks,
    Rachel

36. As a kid my mother used to make the best chicken soup i’ve ever had. Even to this day.

She’s now 85 now and use to make the chicken broth in a pressure cooker.

On a recent trip to China I had a great bowl of Chicken soup. Brought back memories of my old mums soup. This is what lead me here. I wanted to learn how to make it for myself. Thanks Joanne.

p.s. I’ll be using a pressure cooker.

37. 37. Gina Thompson Eickhoff
    Jul 29th, 2010 at 1:40 am

I have gastric paresis and my limited diet (I can eat only fish, no red meat or chicken, no heavy fats, nothing with fiber, no raw/hard to chew veggies, etc.) complicates any meal. Strong seasonings like onion, garlic, etc. upset my system. I need some creative flavor options. Meeting nutritional requirements is a huge issue for me. So, my wonderful husband bought beef bones and just finished a second batch of bone broth. The smell was overwhelmingly nauseating and, Holy Cow!, nobody had mentioned that when he read the posts. I couldn’t make the few veggies floating in that colorless smelly liquid into tasty soup either. Help! Any advice welcome!

38. It seems a lot of the comments have concerns with long cooking times - stove top vs. pressure cooker vs. crock pot. I ran across something a few years ago that has revolutionized my cooking, storing, transporting etc. It is called a wonder box cooker.

Originally, it was put to use in the 70’s by a humanitarian group for women in Africa that were using too much fuel and trees to keep their food cooking. This was introduced that allowed them to bring their food to a boil and then move it to the wonder cooker to finish cooking. Currently people use as a fuel saver for camping.

I can’t figure out why it hasn’t caught on. I use it for EVERYTHING - especially if you make broth or cook grains or anything that requires a long simmer. I also use it for insulating my frozen foods when I am coming back from the grocery store so I can squeeze in a few more errands. Basically, it is a glorified bean bag chair with a depression in it to hold the pot. I made about 14 of them and gave them to family and friends. They are amazing!! I bring my chicken parts and vege pieces to a good boil and then transfer to them to the wonder cooker. I let it sit overnight and then strain it in the morning. (I HAVE TO USE HOT PADS TO GET IT OUT even though it has been in there all night.)

Same thing with grains - I put my presoaked grains in with some water in a pan, bring it to a boil and transfer. In the morning, I have perfectly cooked grains with no scorching. The only downside is you have to make it yourself and find a source for the inner material. Mine is styrofoam which, I know, is somewhat of a crime but it works really well. You can use other things. All the information can be found through this website. Get some girlfriends together and call it a sewing day. It’s a little time consuming but well worth it in my opinion. Good luck.

39. Joanne,

I did an experiment here and got 12 days of gelatin-rich broth from the same bones. It was so exciting! The key is beef feet. Read how we did it here: http://www.traditional-foods.com/bone-broth/

Amanda
    (Rebuild From Depression)

1. 1 How To Be Time Savvy For Your Health (Or Healthy Meals To Prepare In Advance) « healthfoodlover.com Pingback on May 3rd, 2010 at 5:14 pm
  2. 2 Strategies for beating back the Flu | Malus Health Organization Pingback on Nov 9th, 2010 at 11:12 am
COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE: